How we deal with the personal info of guests
Protection of Personal Information (POPIA)
Adherence also to the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
South Africa’s POPIA which refers to the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, requires Karoowater Guest Farm to inform the consumer as to how their personal information is used, protected, and disclosed. Acknowledging the possibility that a visitor outside SA’s borders might want to do an inquiry or liaise, we also adhere to the European GDPR privacy requirements. Most international visitors would find our transparency and commitment towards privacy accommodative of their privacy requirements. In agreement with the above, Karoowater Guest Farm guarantees its commitment to protecting the consumer’s privacy and ensuring that their personal information is used appropriately, transparently, and securely. Contact us if you have any questions or problems regarding the use of your Personal Data and we will gladly assist you.
Table of Contents
- Definitions used in this Policy
- Data protection principles we follow
- What rights do you have regarding your Personal Data
- What Personal Data do we gather about you
- How we use your Personal Data
- Who else has access to your Personal Data
- How we secure your data
- Children’s Privacy
- Our Cookies Policy | Our Cookie-List
- Information abuse and community misconduct
- Reservation of rights
- Limits and Changes to this Policy
Personal Data – any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
Processing – any operation or set of operations which is performed on Personal Data or on sets of Personal Data.
Data subject – a natural person whose Personal Data is being Processed.
Child – a natural person under 16 years of age.
DATA PROTECTION PRINCIPLES
We promise to follow the following data protection principles:
- Processing is lawful, fair, transparent. Our Processing activities have lawful grounds. We always consider your rights before Processing Personal Data. We will provide you information regarding Processing upon request.
- Processing is limited to the purpose. Our Processing activities fit the purpose for which Personal Data was gathered.
- Processing is done with minimal data. We only gather and Process the minimal amount of Personal Data required for any purpose.
- Processing is limited to a time period. We will not store your personal data for longer than needed.
- We will do our best to ensure the accuracy of data.
- We will do our best to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of data.
Data Subject’s rights
The Data Subject has the following rights:
- Right to information – meaning you have the right to know whether your Personal Data is being processed; what data is gathered, from where it is obtained and why and by whom it is processed.
- Right to access – meaning you have the right to access the data collected from/about you. This includes your right to request and obtain a copy of your Personal Data gathered.
- Right to rectification – meaning you have the right to request rectification or erasure of your Personal Data that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to erasure – meaning in certain circumstances you can request for your Personal Data to be erased from our records.
- Right to restrict processing – meaning where certain conditions apply, you have the right to restrict the Processing of your Personal Data.
- Right to object to processing – meaning in certain cases you have the right to object to Processing of your Personal Data, for example in the case of direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated Processing – meaning you have the right to object to automated Processing, including profiling; and not to be subject to a decision based solely on automated Processing. This right you can exercise whenever there is an outcome of the profiling that produces legal effects concerning or significantly affecting you.
- Right to data portability – you have the right to obtain your Personal Data in a machine-readable format or if it is feasible, as a direct transfer from one Processor to another.
- Right to lodge a complaint – in the event that we refuse your request under the Rights of Access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. If you are not satisfied with the way your request has been handled please contact us.
- Right for the help of supervisory authority – meaning you have the right for the help of a supervisory authority and the right for other legal remedies such as claiming damages. Because systematic and regular data processing is not one of the core activities of Karoowater.co.za, it is not deemed necessary for Karoowater.co.za to have an appointed Data Protection Officer (DPO).
- Right to withdraw consent – you have the right to withdraw any given consent for Processing of your Personal Data.
Data we gather
Information you have provided us with This might be your e-mail address, name or telephone number etc – mainly information that is necessary for delivering you a product/service or to enhance your customer experience with us. We save the information you provide us with in order to book you into one of our accommodation units or to successfully answer your questions or solve your problems related to our accommodation facilities and service delivery. This information includes, for example, your name and e-mail address. Information automatically collected about you This includes information that is automatically stored by cookies and other session tools. For example, your IP address. This information is used to improve your customer experience. When you use our services or look at the contents of our website, your activities may be logged. Information from our partners We gather information from our trusted partners with confirmation that they have legal grounds to share that information with us. This is either information you have provided them directly with or that they have gathered about you on other legal grounds. See the list of our partners here. Publicly available information We might gather information about you that is publicly available.
How we use your Personal Data
We use your Personal Data in order to:
- provide our service to you. This includes, for example, providing you with the products and services that you have requested; providing you with promotional items at your request and communicating with you in relation to those products and services; communicating and interacting with you, and notifying you of changes to any services.
- enhance your customer experience;
- fulfill an obligation under law or contract
We use your Personal Data on legitimate grounds and with your Consent. On the grounds of entering into a contract or fulfilling contractual obligations, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to identify you;
- to provide you with a service;
- to communicate either for sales or invoicing;
On the ground of legitimate interest, we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes
- to administer and analyse our client base (purchasing behaviour and history) in order to improve the quality, variety, and availability of products/ services offered/provided;
With your consent we Process your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- to book you into one of our accommodation units or caravan/tent stands and communicate with you about it;
- to book and communicate with you about our function facilities or a restaurant table;
- to send you latest Karoowater.co.za offers;
- for other purposes, we have asked your consent for.
We Process your Personal Data in order to fulfill obligation rising from law and/or use your Personal Data for options provided by law. We save your billing information and other information gathered about you for as long as needed for accounting purposes or other obligations deriving from the law, but not longer than necessary as determined by South African law. We might process your Personal Data for additional purposes that are not mentioned here but are compatible with the original purpose for which the data was gathered. To do this, we will ensure that:
- the link between purposes, context, and nature of Personal Data is suitable for further Processing;
- the further Processing would not harm your interests and
- there would be an appropriate safeguard for Processing.
We will inform you of any further Processing and purposes.
Who else can access your Personal Data
We do not share your Personal Data with strangers. Personal Data about you is in some cases provided to our trusted partners in order to make providing the service to you possible and to enhance your customer experience. We share your data with: Our processing partner
We only work with Processing partners who are able to ensure an adequate level of protection to your Personal Data. We disclose your Personal Data to third parties or public officials when we are legally obliged to do so.
How we secure your data
We do our best to keep your Personal Data safe. We use safe protocols for communication and transferring data. As no data is stored on the system we do not anonymise and pseudonymise your data, but to give a option of data deletion. Even though we try our best we can not guarantee the security of information. However, we promise to notify suitable authorities of data breaches. We will also notify you if there is a threat to your rights or interests. We will do everything we reasonably can to prevent security breaches and to assist authorities should any breaches occur.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children who might by chance use our services and website. We do not knowingly disclose any personally identifying information or personal information provided by children to third parties. We may, however, disclose anonymised and aggregated versions of this information (analytics and statistics) for business, marketing or public relations purposes.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of data that a website store on your device when you visit, typically containing information about the website itself, a unique identifier that allows the site to recognise your web browser when you return, and additional data that serves the purpose of the cookie, and the lifespan of the cookie itself.
Cookies are used to enable certain features (eg. logging in), to track site usage (eg. analytics), to store your user settings (eg. timezone, notification preferences), and to personalise your content (eg. advertising, language).
Cookies set by the website you are visiting are normally referred to as “first-party cookies”, and typically only track your activity on that particular site. Cookies set by other sites and companies (ie. third parties) are called “third-party cookies”, and can be used to track you on other websites that use the same third-party service.
Types of cookies and how we use them
Essential cookies are crucial to your experience of a website, enabling core features like user logins, account management, shopping carts and payment processing. We use essential cookies to enable certain functions on our website.
Performance cookies are used in the tracking of how you use a website during your visit, without collecting personal information about you. Typically, this information is anonymous and aggregated with information tracked across all site users, to help companies understand visitor usage patterns, identify and diagnose problems or errors their users may encounter, and make better strategic decisions in improving their audience’s overall website experience. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by third-party services. We use performance cookies on our site.
Functionality cookies are used in collecting information about your device and any settings you may configure on the website you’re visiting (like language and timezone settings). With this information, websites can provide you with customised, enhanced or optimised content and services. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by a third-party service. We use functionality cookies for selected features on our site.
Targeting/advertising cookies are used in determining what promotional content is more relevant and appropriate to you and your interests. Websites may use them to deliver targeted advertising or to limit the number of times you see an advertisement. This helps companies improve the effectiveness of their campaigns and the quality of content presented to you. These cookies may be set by the website you’re visiting (first-party) or by third-party services. Targeting/advertising cookies set by third parties may be used to track you on other websites that use the same third-party service. We use targeting/advertising cookies on our site.
Third-party cookies on our site
Our third-party privacy promise
We review the privacy policies of all our third-party providers before enlisting their services to ensure their practices align with ours. We will never knowingly include third-party services that compromise or violate the privacy of our users.
How you can control or opt-out of cookies
You can remove cookies stored on your computer via your browser settings. Alternatively, you can control some 3rd party cookies by using a privacy enhancement platform such as optout.aboutads.info or youronlinechoices.com. For more information about cookies, visit allaboutcookies.org.
If you do not wish to accept cookies from us, you can instruct karoowater.co.za by finding the ‘Cookie Settings’-button on the sticky Cookie banner at the bottom left, while browsing our website.
Remember, although some cookies can be blocked with little impact on your experience of a website, blocking all cookies may mean you are unable to access certain features and content across the sites you visit.
|_ga||persistent||2 years||The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors.|
|_gat||persistent||1 minute||This cookie is installed by Google Universal Analytics to restrain request rate and thus limit the collection of data on high traffic sites.|
|_gat_gtag_UA_102994062_1||persistent||1 minute||Set by Google to distinguish users.|
|_gid||persistent||1 day||Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-advertisement||persistent||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||persistent||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-functional||persistent||11 months||The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||persistent||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||persistent||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||persistent||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
|CookieLawInfoConsent||persistent||1 year||Records the default button state of the corresponding category & the status of CCPA. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie.|
INFORMATION ABUSE & COMMUNITY MISCONDUCT
We do not tolerate doxing (publishing of private or personal information about an individual without their consent), cyberbullying, or other forms of information abuse on www.karoowater.co.za.
If we discover that a child’s personal information has been disclosed on our site, we will remove the content in question as quickly as possible and effect disciplinary measures (a warning, suspension or ban) on the offending account.
RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
Karoowater Guest Farm reserves the right to disclose information about customers where required in good faith, to do so by law or to exercise our legal rights or defend ourselves against legal claims.
1. Karoowater further reserves the right to share information with law enforcement to investigate or prevent illegal activities from being committed over our network or servers.
2. Karoowater reserves our rights to disclose your personal information where you have given us explicit legal written consent to do so.
3. Karoowater reserves the right to monitor user and network traffic for site security purposes and prevent any unauthorized attempts to tamper with our site or cause damage to our property.
LIMITS OF OUR POLICY
Our website may link to external sites that are not operated by us. Please be aware that we have no control over the content and policies of those sites, and cannot accept responsibility or liability for their respective privacy practices.
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
The Karoowater Team
All reservation requests and service-related queries must use this email line
Times you may expect service:
Mon – Wed / Fri – Sat: 8am to 5pm • Thu / Sun & Public Holidays: 8am to 1pm